Advantages of Learning How to Sew
by Kaitlin Nicolle B.
My teacher asked me to write a hand written paper on the importance of knowing how to sew and mend clothing. And I have no idea what to write -- could you help me?
Knowing how to sew has several advantages – let's list a few:
1. Being able to mend clothes means saving money. Rather than buying more clothes, you can replace the lost button or close that seam that fell open.
2. Being able to mend clothes means that you can salvage your favorite piece of clothing when it needs repairs, or you can restyle that piece, if needed.
3. Being able to mend or alter clothing can mean upgrading your look by incorporating more expensive looking buttons or making your clothing fit your figure and style better.
4. Being able to sew means you can buy clothing that is almost right and rework it to fit better and look more expensive. Once you've sewn for a while, you develop the skills necessary and the ability to envision necessary improvements which will take an off-the-rack piece and make it specially suited to you.
5. When you can sew a piece of clothing from fabric, it gives you freedom – you can choose the colors to use. You can also choose how drapey or sturdy the fabric is. You can decide whether you want your skirt to be a pencil skirt or an A-line style. You can choose long sleeves or short fluttery sleeves. Basically, you will eventually be able to design your own clothing.
6. Learning to sew will give you something to be proud of. It will allow you to stand out from your peers and give you something to look forward to in your down times.
7. Learning to sew will also improve your ability to work through a process and deliver a product you can be proud of. This will carry over to other skills you develop throughout your life.
8. Probably, though, the best reason to learn to sew is that it will increase your ability to draw on the creativity that lies within you.
Truly, Kaitlin, I hope you give it a try. Stick with it for a bit. Develop your skills. Enjoy! I hope this helps you somewhat.